Potato salad is a classic food at almost every summer BBQ. Personally, I’ve never liked mayonnaise, and as it turns out I’m also allergic to egg, so mayonnaise is a big no no for me. Did you know it is possible to make potato salad without mayonnaise? It sure is, and I’ll bet your family will like this version even more due to one very special ingredient.
Potato Salad Without Mayonnaise
I wish I could take credit for inventing the idea of potato salad without mayonnaise, but as it turns out Germany beat met to it very many years ago. German potato salad is best known for no mayo.
One of my good friend’s hallmark dishes is German potato salad, which if you have never had it before, has onion in it.
Since I’m allergic to onion too, I came up with my own adaptation using celery instead, and voila, a great side dish for any occasion.
The celery gives the potato salad a nice crunch like it would have if it had raw onion in it. This is simple chopped raw celery, which makes this recipe even easier to put together.
No Mayo Potato Salad with Bacon
Almost everyone loves German potato salad because of one very special ingredient: bacon! Lots and lots of bacon!
Who doesn’t love bacon and potatoes together? Pretty much the only thing better than hash browns and bacon in the morning is this potato salad in the afternoon or evening.
Besides potatoes and bacon, there are a couple of other key ingredients in this potato salad without mayo:
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
That’s it! The red wine vinegar and bacon give this potato salad a naturally tangy flavor, and the celery gives it a nice crunch. You won’t miss the onion in this recipe, which also makes this potato salad perfect for anyone that has to avoid onion due to an allergy, IBS, or sensitive stomach.
Did I mention this recipe is allergy friendly? You won’t find any of the top 8 or top 11 food allergens hidden in this potato salad!
Making Potatoes for Potato Salad in the Instant Pot
I used my Instant Pot to make the potatoes for this potato salad.
I washed my potatoes, put them in the pot with 1/2 cup of water and cooked them on high pressure for 5 minutes.
I like to use a regular old steaming rack when I make things like potatoes for potato salad in the Instant Pot.
Then I let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
They were perfect! Since I used fingerling potatoes, I didn’t even bother cutting them up before I cooked them.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t worry! Just boil your potatoes until you can stick a fork through them.
- 2 lbs fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 4 celery stalks
- 1/4 cup packed parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook your potatoes. I cooked my fingerling potatoes in the instant pot for 5 minutes, allowed them to natural release for 5 minutes before releasing the pressure, and they were perfect. If you don't have an Instant Pot, just boil the potatoes until you can stick a fork through them.
- Chop 1/2 pound of bacon into pieces, and fry until crispy.
- After your potatoes are done cooking, place them in a large mixing bowl and give them a rough chop to make them a little smaller if they are bigger than bite size. Since we used fingerlings, we don't have to go crazy cutting them. They will also break as we stir the ingredients together.
- Chop 4 stalks of celery.
- Chop the 1/4 cup of packed parsley.
- Combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl with the potatoes: cooked bacon, chopped celery, chopped parsley, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
- Stir until everything is combined. Your potatoes will break up more, and that is okay!
- Serve warm or cold!
This potato salad is great served warrm or chilled, it is up to you!
It can be served as a side dish with just about anything. While potato salads are often popular at BBQs, try this amazing no mayo potato salad with bacon as a side dish for roasted chicken or pork too!
Feel free to use whatever potatoes you may have on hand, or substitute the red wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.